For Texans, owning property means having the rights to a piece of land in the state that you call home. However, just because you own a piece of property, doesn’t always mean that you know everything about the land within its boundaries. That’s why land surveyors provide a critical service to property owners by meticulously mapping and measuring their estates.
If you have recently purchased property, or would like additional details on the land that you own, consider working with land surveying companies in Texas. Property owners often choose to work with surveyors for the following reasons:
- Defining boundaries: As a property owner, it is essential that you know the exact boundaries of your land. Hiring a boundary surveyor to identify your property’s limits can help you determine the size of a construction project, the parameters of your fence or where to run network connection lines underground. Distinguishing between what is and is not your property can be especially helpful in settling disputes between two neighbors who have different views on where property lines lie.
- Establishing rights of way: As towns and roads change, it may be necessary for your neighbors to cross your property in order to reach a shared space. If you would like to determine who is allowed access to your property, a land surveyor can help. Land surveying companies in Texas can establish the limits of your property and describe all laws that affect owned areas. This process will help you and your community define who can enter your property, and who is trespassing.
- Locating key landmarks: Land and topographical surveyors can explore your property and carefully note where any key objects or environmental landmarks are located. Through this process you can gain knowledge of the location of a wide variety of different markers, including bodies of water, wells, hills and more. In certain cases, surveyors can even make note of where above ground and underground utility systems are located.
- Planning for construction: Before you break ground, it’s essential that you know as much about your property as possible. Working with a land surveyor means you will know the details of your property and be able to make informed decisions when planning for your development project. Additionally, surveyors can provide guidance on the location of a construction site based on their detailed measurements.
- Confirm regional regulations: It is critical for property owners to be aware of the regional regulations that apply to their land. If your property is on the border of county or neighborhood lines, a boundary surveyor can help you recognize which rules your property should follow. Confirming regional regulations is especially important if you plan to build or host a construction site on your land. A surveyor can help you avoid costly penalties by establishing property boundaries in advance.
There are countless ways in which a surveyor can help land owners better understand their property. If you would like to know more about how a surveying professional can assist with your property’s needs, consult the experts at D.G. Smyth & Company today.